In this blog post we will;
Define Green & Eco
Terms like Natural, Eco, Green & Organic are thrown around a lot and can be both confusing and overwhelming if you don't understand these terms fully. It is difficult to know what the difference between products making these claims are. This is part of the reason Sigrid's have chosen to CERTIFY their products, so people feel assured that what they are buying contains natural, sustainable and cruelty-free ingredients. Here are industry definitions for the following terms:
1. Natural - means that products should contain nothing artificial or synthetic and the ingredients are derived from either flora, fauna or minerals. If a product is claiming it is 'Natural' you should expect at least 95% natural ingredients (the other 5% maybe a preservative - we will discuss this in more depth later).
2. Eco - means that a product is biodegradable, is safe, non-hazardous, non-corrosive and should contain no health risks to people. In summary, it means that the product is not harming the environment or people.
3. Green - When we say a product is 'green' we are again saying the product is better for the environment than putting synthetic & chemical alternatives into the atmosphere, in part because it is biodegradable so breaks down when it is disposed of.
4. Organic - Meaning free of synthetic additives like pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and dyes, and must not be processed using industrial solvents, irradiation, or genetic engineering. The USDA states that the goal of organic foods and organic farming is to "integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity."
While it is easy to define these terms, in the marketplace it is still difficult to feel assured that companies are truly living up to the claims they make. Finding and consuming products that are certified by a 3rd party is one way that you can be re-assured a product/company is being honest and transparent.